Ngati Manawa tena tatou katoa e noho mai na I nga topito o te Ao. Kia kaha tatou ki te manaaki ki te awhina I roto i tenei taumahatanga. Kati, hoea ta tatou waka I runga I te whakaaro kotahi. The TRONM board met last night to discuss our response to the current corona virus pandemic that is sweeping the country and the rest of the world. As a result of these uncertain times for us all we the TRONM board see this pandemic as a co-ordinated approach to this mauiui.
With this in mind our Runanga staff on behalf of Te Runanga o Ngati Manawa Trust, Nga Huinga Motumako and The Ngati Manawa incorporation are working towards putting together a full COVID-19 response plan in place for our people. To assist us in this process the TRONM board has committed up to $100k, Nga Huinga Motumako $20k and Ngati Manawa Incorporation an in kind contribution putea to allow the following activities to take place.
Over the short term period the putea will assist by
- Engaging with health and government agencies to provide home visits within our rohe to pakeke unable to travel or have chronic health conditions.
- Setting up a full pataka kai system to assist whanau with kai over this period within our rohe and also outside our rohe.
- Distribute health packs for our pakeke and those Ngati Manawa beneficiaries in need. • Work with the local medical centre and health officials to look at influenza jabs with priority to our Ngati Manawa pakeke over 65 and those with chronic health conditions
Over the long term period the putea will assist by
- Working with government agencies around how we can find work for those who have been made redundant.
- Assisting in transporting workers to and from work if and when places can be found. • Working with government agencies such as TPK and Whanau Ora to fund a regional hub to support whānau, hapu and our iwi
- Work with government agencies to assist our people on how to access government funding subsidies during this time of crisis and uncertainty • Assisting with emergency funding to support pakeke and Ngati Manawa beneficiaries that are most vulnerable.
- Partnering with whānau, hapū, and the community to give them the tools and resources to support the response to COVID-19.
Please bear with us whanau, we understand that times are going to be tough over the coming weeks but we want to ensure that we have a very good plan in place, that not only considers a long term strategy response to combat this virus, but looks at the logistical side and H&S side of keeping our staff safe as well as the Uri of Ngati Manawa.
We will let you know as soon as possible when our Ngati Manawa kaumatua and Ngati Manawa beneficiaries will be able to access the above activities. I ask in the meantime that you all watch over our kaumatua and our tamariki and be kind and helping towards each other.
If you require assistance, please phone Halee on 07 3665736 or Maramena on 027 2272582.
Please register your phone number with Halee if you would like a phone call to keep in touch and connected. Noho rangimarie.
Kani Edwards Chairman (Te Runanga o Ngati Manawa